Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Doing my part

I felt really good today man! Why? Cos I contributed to the government....in the form of a fine. Nevermind if it was involuntary at first but when the T.P. passed me my ticket, there is a sense of inner peace and satisfaction knowing I did my part in community building.

You see, as I was riding on the expressway on my way to view the unit of my choice from the recent walk-in-selection, a familiar white motorcycle rode along side with me. I was in the center lane. He waved to me ‘Requesting’ that I should pull over. I glance at my speedometer and it was pointing at 92km/hr. Hmm....Cannot be so suay and strict to book me for just a measly 2km over-speeding right? The cars around me are all zooming pass us. They are definitely over 110km/hr man! So why is he stopping me? Could it be that I won some kind of good road user contest since I am the only one abiding by them?

Anyway, we both pulled over and stopped on the road shoulder. As he walks over, he looks around as if he just lost a thousand dollars and was trying very hard to search for it. After going from back to front of my bike and bottom to top of me, he finally said,

T.P : “Your helmet not secured properly. Headlights also never on.”

Mr Lee : “Huh? Mine is the Velcro type lay. So sometimes the strap tends to be loose and I wouldn't know.”

T.P : “Cannot. No no. That is illegal.” Shaking his head constantly.

T.P : Driving license, insurance and I.C.” Where is the “please” I wondered? Thought police officers were taught to request ‘politely' ?

I just keep quiet cos I am in a hurry and feel wonderful that a nice police officer had taught me the proper way of wearing a helmet.
When he handed me the ticket for a $150 fine, I was trilled!!

Nevermind that I was not told or taught 8 years ago that securing a helmet by Velcro is illegal.

Nevermind that I thought, since it was illegal why are the shops even permitted to sell them without informing the public?

Nevermind that instead of a warning (First time I was stopped by T.P. ever!) I was given three de-merit points plus a $150 fine.

Nevermind that the T.P look like he owes loan shark tons of money and was just trying to fulfilled his quota for the month so his bosses won't sack him.

Hey, he is just doing his job no matter how suspicious it seems. Thank you mr traffic policeman. I will give them my hard-earned $150 plus time and effort as payment for tuition fees. Isn't that a good trade-off?

Guess when the government promotes my organization with the slogan: “I don't get a ticket for breaking the sound barrier.”

They obliviously failed to mention. : “But I do get one when my helmet is not worn correctly especially when it comes to my helmet strap.”

With government like this how can we go wrong?!! If you get into an accident and die cos your helmet came off, they would say : “Shit man! Another valuable carrot-headed resource gone down the drain. How can we prevent that from happening?”

T.P : “I know! Or-gong them for not wearing their helmet in the correct manner! At least if he suay suay langa, we would have make sure he is doing his part as a good citizen by paying us before hand. Respectful right?”

I did my part in society building and it felt so good!
You people should chip in more often too! Especially those drivers who overtoke us today at the speed of light. Perhaps traffic police shouldn't wear sunglasses anymore. It ain't that cool and you are depriving some ‘Real’ good citizens from paying and doing their part. Let us all do our bits towards community building. (People with heart problem please do not try it out yourself. Hazardous to your conditions)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home